It’s that time again. Turkey, stuffing, gravy, snacks, pies, pies and oh yeah, more pies. The dreaded HWGS is upon us. What’s HWGS you ask? You may know it as the very sneaky Holiday Weight Gain Syndrome.
Holiday Weight Gain Syndrome usually starts its attack around Halloween and works its black magic all the way through the New Year. Before you know it, you’ve lost some muscle, added five or ten pounds of fat and don’t feel so great starting off the new year.
There’s an ugly rumor that Americans gain 8-10 pounds during the time between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day. Thank goodness this is not true. In fact, research shows that during the holidays, Americans gain just 1-2 pounds on average. While this doesn’t sound like much, evidence shows that we don’t shed the annual poundage. So, in 5 years, two pounds becomes an extra ten!
Enjoying The Holiday Season – Every Bite Of It!
While the holiday season is no time to go on a diet, try these 5 simple tips to maintain your weight over the next few weeks.
- Stay Hydrated – Drinking the purest form of hydration, H2O, effectively boosts metabolism function. The concept is simple, drink more water and burn through the food you eat faster. Great for when you sneak into the leftover Halloween candy late at night. But did you know metabolism isn’t just something you can boost for fantastic weight loss results but also for personal health improvement? According to News Medical, Metabolism is a term that is used to describe all chemical reactions involved in maintaining the living state of the cells and the organism. That is the power of water!
- Stay Active – Don’t want to gain that extra pound? Do something about it. Start walking, join a fitness center and meet new people with similar goals so that staying active isn’t a chore, it is something you enjoy doing. Total Wellness offers affordable $50 dollar unlimited fitness classes.
- Fill up on Healthy Foods First – It is tempting to grab your favorite dish first but if you are trying to watch your weight, first start with the healthiest options, that you enjoy, of course! Then seconds can be an indulgence you enjoy with less chance of overdoing it and inducing a food coma before the festivities are over. It also helps to take smaller plates and smaller bites. Enjoy this food and the company it brings!
- Enjoy your Time – Many have heard that stress leads to weight gain. But do you know why? Elevated stress levels increase the amount of a natural hormone our body produces called cortisol (aka the stress hormone). When this happens your body looks for comfort and many times people turn to food for that little slice of comfort. That little slice can turn into a pizza if you aren’t careful. And the Holiday Seasons are known to be about as stressful as seasons can get. So remember to have fun, take time for yourself, to Breathe and have a good time because it will do your body good.
- Don’t Lose Sleep – Lack of sleep increases stress. There are a lot of responsibilities that come with the Holidays but if you don’t take care of you, who is going to? It can be hard to rest your head with all that is running around inside of it. Feel the need to Multi-Task?! Then sleep, it will help you maintain your health, weight and sanity. What a great use of time! And tomorrow, you’ll have more energy because of it.
Do you have any Holiday Eating Tips? Or tips for Maintaining Weight through the Holiday Season? If so, feel free to add to our list in the comments below!